An erratum to the paper published on heatwave modelling should appear soon, on http://link.springer.com/article/…
“In my article, On the return period of the 2003 heat wave, the sentence “summer of2003 was by far the hottest summer since 1500” is wrongly attributed to ‘Luterbacher et al. (2003)’. My probable intent was to cite Casty et al. (2005) which actually states “the years 1994, 2000, 2002 and particularly 2003 were the warmest since 1500”. Note that a similar statement can also be found in Stott et al. (2004), “The summer of 2003 was probably the hottest in Europe since at latest ad 1500”.
- Brown S, Stott P, Clark R, Temperature Extremes (2011) the Past and the Future. Hadley Centre for Climate Prediction and Research Working Paper. [online http://stabilisation.metoffice.com/…]
- Casty C, Wanner H, Luterbacher J, Esper J, Böhm R (2005) Temperature and precipitation variability in the European Alps since 1500. Int J Climatol 25(14):1855–1880, 30 November 2005 CrossRef
- Lowe J, Smith F, Jenkins G, Pope V (2004) Uncertainty, risk and dangerous climate change. Hadley Centre [online http://cedadocs.badc.rl.ac.uk/247/
- Luterbacher J, Dietrich D, Xoplaki E, Grosjean M, Wanner H (2004) European seasonal and annual temperature variability, trends, and extremes since 1500. Science 303:1499–1503 CrossRef
- Stott PA, Stone DA, Allen MR (2004) Human contribution to the European heatwave of 2003. Nature 432:610–614 (2 December 2004) CrossRef