Some writings worth reading,
- "Many restless young men have temperaments that make them totally unsuited for work" http://nytimes.com/2014/04/06/business/… by @tylercowen ht @Noahpinion
"Many of the new jobs today are in health care and education, where specialized training and study are required. Across the economy, a college degree is often demanded where a high school degree used to suffice. It’s now common for a fire chief to be expected to have a master’s degree, and to perform a broader variety of business-related tasks that were virtually unheard-of in earlier generations. All of these developments mean a disadvantage for people who don’t like formal education, even if they are otherwise very talented. It’s no surprise that current unemployment has been concentrated among those with lower education levels. There is also a special problem for some young men, namely those with especially restless temperaments. They aren’t always well-suited to the new class of service jobs, like greeting customers or taking care of the aged, which require much discipline or sometimes even a subordination of will."
- "Why Those Guys Won the Economics Nobels " http://blogs.hbr.org/2014/04/… by @foxjust
- "Nordic countries are not as similar or as ‘exceptional’ as conventional wisdom would suggest" http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2014/…
- "Over 100,000 buildings mapped in Guinea where Ebola broke out" https://mapbox.com/blog/ebola-mapping-progress by @enf
- Earthquakes in Chile, Panama and Southern California http://usatoday.com/story/news/2014/04/… "The odds are overwhelming that they're not related"
- "Simulation and Bootstrapping for Teaching Statistics" http://unt.edu/benchmarks/archives/… ht @chlalanne
- "Who edits Wikipedia?" http://zerogeography.net/2013/03/who… for instance, a map of edits to articles about "Egypt"
- "High Frequency Trading: Threat or Menace?" http://blogs.hbr.org/2014/04/…) by @foxjust
- "What do we know about high-frequency trading?" http://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~jhasbrou/…
- "Perceived intelligence is associated with measured intelligence in men but not women" http://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24651120 via @tylercowen
- "Before they pass away" http://beforethey.com/ by Jimmy Nelson
- "What Kind of (Social) Science is Economics?" http://sss.ias.edu/files/pdfs/Rodrik/… by @rodrikdani
- "Data looks better naked" http://darkhorseanalytics.com/blog/ …
see also "Clear Off the Table" http://darkhorseanalytics.com/blog/clear-off-the-table/ …
- "Forget the cost – tackle climate anyway" http://climatenewsnetwork.net/2014/04/… via @ClimateNewsNet
- the longest non-stop flights http://reddit.com/domain/qzprod… see
- nice dataviz on the front page of the NYT via @junkcharts ... in January 1854
- "Your mistake was listening to me in the first place" http://academicfreedom.kiwi.nz/…
- "Voronoi diagram-based map of the US" http://scholarslab.org/geospatial-and-temporal/… see
- "The Hidden Rules of Chinese TV Series Censorship" http://globalvoicesonline.org/2014/03/16… see also http://cul.sohu.com/20140314/…
- "Over-competitiveness in Academia: A literature review" http://bartneck.de/publications/2013/…
- "New York storefronts: what a difference a decade makes" http://theguardian.com/cities/gallery… see
- "Statistique et Démocratie : à quoi servent les chiffres ? " https://dropbox.com/s/ouse27dxcv4xden/… via http://christophe-terrier.com/
- via @DataIsAmazing "Cost of university in the EU."
- "The Dollar-And-Cents Case Against Hollywood’s Exclusion of Women" http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/… via @FiveThirtyEight see also "The Continuing Case for Having More Women in Film" http://blogs.indiewire.com/womenandhollywood/… by @melsil
- via @AnnLarsonNYC Universities exploit grad students, "convinced of its special intelligence and competitive edge" https://jacobinmag.com/2014/04/…
- "Using Twitter to Forecast New Applications for Unemployment" http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2014/04/02/… see
- "Colorado Town Considers Letting Residents Shoot at Drones" http://bloomberg.com/news/…
- "Password Strength" http://xkcd.com/936/ (I missed that one) ht @tomroud @manhack see
- "Quantitative and qualitative social science" http://understandingsociety.blogspot.ca/2014/…
- via @nxthompson: What do people fight about on Wikipedia worldwide? http://economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/… see
- "Does Porn Hurt Children?" http://nytimes.com/2014/03/29/…
- "I’m interested in climate change as a driver of human behaviour" http://newscientist.com/article/mg22129621…
- "16 prejudiced maps of North America" http://imgur.com/r/MapPorn/… see
- "Panel's Warning on Climate Risk : Worst Is Yet to Come" http://nytimes.com/2014/03/31/… ht @3wen and @visionscarto
- "Facebook data maps which baseball teams are most popular in each US county" http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2011990… see
- "I am delighted to announce the merger of the Harvard and MIT economics departments" http://gregmankiw.blogspot.ca/2014/04/… via @sanderwagner
- "The Jobs With the Highest Obesity Rates" (in the U.S.) http://theatlantic.com/health/… see
- "Tax the Childless" http://slate.com/articles/news… "We should slash taxes on parents by jacking them up for nonparents."
- "How Gmail Happened: The Inside Story of Its Launch 10 Years Ago Today" http://time.com/43263…
- "Why use R? Five reasons" http://econometricsbysimulation.com/2014/03/… via @kdnuggets see e.g.
- "You don’t want a job, or a career; you want a calling" http://qz.com/193421/… (see also http://purposeeconomy.com/1395840748 … )
- via @JustinWolfers "This chart really is literally comparing apples with oranges." http://economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/… see
- "There's no way you're going to get a quote from us..." (on Banksy's book)
et un peu de lecture en français,
- "Solidarité ou assurance ? Les fondements de la sécurité sociale en France" http://laviedesidees.fr/Solidarite-ou-assurance…
- En France, "Le Monde, accessoire préféré des classes dominantes" http://acrimed.org/article4306… ht @Monolecte
- "Bit linguistique"http://sciencepresse.qc.ca/blogue/2014/03/17/ … super mega génial billet sur l'entropie du langage par @pf_mg
- "La pyramide des âges des 525 000 élus aux Municipales, 2014"par @matamix, ht @SH_lelabo
- "Un joueur mise en moyenne environ 2 000 euros par an, soit une dépense de 400 euros, nette des gains" http://insee.fr/fr/themes/ … ht @SH_lelabo
- "Les dangers de la multiplication des stages" http://laviedesidees.fr/…
- "Facebook et l'éthique de la discussion" http://blogs.mediapart.fr/blog/jean-louis-fabiani… ht @SH_lelabo
- via @gunthert "Dire qu'il y en a encore qui croient que la photo représente le sujet photographié…
- "On n’a plus de maitrise sur les données que nous produisons nous même" http://humanite.fr/social-eco/…
Did I miss something interesting?
Print This Post